Monday, March 26, 2012

Day One at Collage - My Second Year

Hello, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Wizards, Ninja, Other People, Geese, Friends, and Rabbit Extermination crew.

I can't believe it's already been a year since my last bootcamp... 'tis quite crazy to think about.
If you want to read up on my experience on last years bootcamp, here is part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4.

This year, I went into bootcamp with a little more confidence, as well as expectations. I also went in having two friends alongside me. Well, not quite "friends". I met two guys on my online school who are also going to bootcamp. One is taking a photography mission, and the other one is in my class. Both are great guys, and it's nice to have someone to have lunch with that are Christians.

Anyhoo, the mission I'm taking is the ZBrush (pronounced zed-brush) course. It's essentially digital clay. You can take any shape, and mold it into whatever you want, without the mess, stench, hassle of clay.
The day started off with introductions that went around the room, than we launched into sculpting a head. We could do a human head, or any type of humanoid head. I had so much trouble with the first half of the class; I just couldn't keep up with the rest of the class. It didn't help that my teacher is a freelancer worker, so he's not part of the collage, therefore he uses some... French, let me say. In other words, he uses some colorful language. The only downer so far. I like the program so much I went and downloaded the 30-day trial for ZBrush.
I must say that this is the pre-clay stage that is one of the ways to get base for large objects. I did a dragon in the trial version of the program, but it looks more like a cross between a horse, deer and a, middlebuff. No I don't know what the last thing is. Anyhoo, here is what I came up with.

 
On the upside, I've come to produce two different sculptures so far, though they aren't completed. Both needs lots of attention to detail, but I'll show you guys anyway. Here are the sculptures that I did in class.

This is the alien head. I didn't have time to take other pictures of other sides of his head, but this is one of two heads I made. The other one, which I liked way better, I saved over with this one by mistake.

This is what I've completed of my dragon so far. I probably spent 3-4 hours on this sucker. And I don't know how to feel about it. Whether I like it, or hate it, is a mystery. The front version of the head is atrocious, so I need to work on that.

But that is day one of four. I'll do an update on my progress tomorrow.

Signed with dubstep - Leauphaun

No comments: